Gino Arendsz

Growth PO
⭐
Hey all, I'm Gino - growth PO by day and aspiring maker by night. Here to learn, connect and give back.
Hey everyone,

11 Days into September, but I figured it should be possible to squeeze in a prototype and get feedback early on. As I mentioned in my introduction post earlier this week, I'm very much interested in HR and gender equality (at the workplace). That's why I will work on the following product in the #T30 challenge. Also, don't have a real name yet. (EDIT: the came of the product will be Frankly and will eventually be hosted onΒ usefrankly.com)

The inclusive spelling checker βœ…
My hypothesis is that when we write, both personal or professional, we unconsciously use words that can be perceived as harmful or lead to exclusion for particular groups of people. As we don't use harmful words on purpose, by learning how particular words could be interpreted, we can become conscious of our verbal ability to include people instead of exclude.

I believe that this verbal ability will help when you write for a living, when you speak up online or when you're a business looking to talk to your audience, unbiased and inclusive.

The big idea πŸ”­
Behind every small MVP there's a big idea and currently I see the big idea as a possible Chrome extension/Slack app - although that would probably be code and far far away from today.Β 
  • Individuals can use the always free version (which allows me to gather data on usage), to improve their writing skills for school, work or personal life.
  • Businesses can acquire the paid version that could work for their entire team and would foster inclusive language within the company, but certainly also towards the outside - as company communication can easily be influenced by the improved verbal knowledge of the employees.

The MVP πŸ”¬
I still have to research the idea more, check competitors, go through research of gendered and inclusive wording to generate the initial list of words plus their explanation.

I envision a webpage where you can upload your piece of text and a way to display the different words found plus a fallback of different tips if there's nothing to be found in the text.

As I'm quite new in the no-code space I don't really know yet what type of tools I need, but probably at least the following.Β 
  • Carrd or Webflow - for the actual page itself
  • Airtable - to store the inclusive words and their descriptions, but also to save user data
  • Memberstack - to let users create an account where they can save their checked articles and possible other benefits
  • Convertkit - for the confirmation email and drip campaign
  • Zapier - to tie it all togetherΒ 
  • ????? - to crosscheck the text input with my database of inclusive words and descriptions

Please share if you have better/alternative tools that I can use here, or examples for reference!! ❀️
I'm looking forward to your feedback as I start up this project and share my progress. As always, feedback (both positive as constructive) and giphy's are more than welcome!Β 

Let's go!Β 

Gino πŸ€™πŸ½
Love this idea!Β https://www.selfdefined.app/Β is a pretty good database of words that have a lot of discourse around them too :)
Gino Arendsz replied
  ·  1 reply
Hey Gino,

That sounds like a great idea with a solid long term goal.Β 
I think you could niche down your MVP even more.Β 

What about creating a downloadable resource pack so that HR teams can still deliver training and awareness to their organisations. People can add the word lists to their personal dictionaries, Grammarly, Gmail etc.Β 

That forces you to make the core of your product first - which is the word research, compiling the list descriptions and creating some essential content of key points around the impact it has and why it's important - plus a no-code eCommerce function to sell & deliver it.

That would give you a v1 that is still helping to raise awareness but it's getting you to a launched product in a couple of days that you can start sharing sooner.Β 

Then as you start gaining email addresses and finding more resources to add to your word list you can expand into building a more tech focused solution - that does things like automatically find and replace words within a document.Β 

I know Zapier has a Replace function https://zapier.com/blog/find-replace-guide/ and there are existing scripts out there that can run on a doc to switch words out https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48627754/replacing-words-in-google-docs-with-google-appscript but that is getting more into low-code solutions!Β 
Hey everyone,

My name is Gino and I'm very happy to join this community. Over the past couple of years I've mainly manifested myself in growth and turned to product about six months ago. Currently that is as a growth PO at a marketplace for mid- to longterm renting - HousingAnywhere in Rotterdam - where me and my team validate new business models, features and value propositions. All with code.

What no-code tools I've used πŸ› 
About three years ago I started freelancing in my off hours, using Carrd, Instapage, Zapier, MailChimp and a bit of knowledge on ad platforms to run hyperlocal ads that brought in job applicants. I'm still doing this and never really innovated my way of working to be honest, apart from becoming faster at it.

I'm also sending a weekly newsletter about growth+product (179 editions strong) using Revue.

What do I want to learn? πŸŽ“
At this stage I don't have one strong idea yet, so what I want to learn in the meantime is what's possible with no-code tools. As I assume that this will fuel my creative thinking. Eventually I will leverage no-code to validate my assumptions and reach a level of problem/solution fit.

How can I help the community 🀲🏽 and the community me? πŸ‘πŸ½
One of the reasons I felt it's the right time to start learning how to actually build products myself is because I'm a mentor on GrowthMentor. Here I help anyone free of charge with their growth and product challenges. Sometimes this led to me talking with makers (both code and no-code) with 10 to 100 users - asking me questions on how to improve their numbers and product. This really started to itch, deep down inside I felt I wanted to be building my own product(s) too. Enjoying the compounding effects of working on a solution to a problem. And now I'm here haha. 😁

What I can offer the Makerpad community is my 5 years of experience in growth and product, either through GrowthMentor or via this community here. In exchange I hope to find inspiration in your stories, ideas, critique and no-code examples.
So.. what topics make me tick? πŸ™ƒ
I want the best for other people, that's what fuels me. So if I can contribute to your ideas, I'm all ears. I hope to eventually leverage my knowledge on no-code into a product in one or more of these topics:
  • HR
  • MarTech
  • Gender equality (at the workplace)
  • Marketplaces

Happy creating,

Gino πŸ€™πŸ½
Hey Gino,

Love the intro! That's so great! πŸ™Œ Welcome!Β 

Has HousingAnywhere had to make some big changes this year with changing restrictions? I could see how merging your code & some no-code solutions could work really well in situations where you need temporary processes.Β 

Instapage! I totally forgot about that, I used to use that lots! Unbounce too! Now Carrd is taking over :)Β 

It's really awesome that you're helping & mentoring, it does bring so many ideas out that you'll no doubt want to build yourself. You've been bitten by the product bug! 😁

P.S Are you taking part in the t30 challenge? If not, there's still time to enter!Β Β 
Gino Arendsz replied
  ·  1 reply