Phil Murphy

Software Architect
Coder for 30+ years; currently CTO/co-founder of www.senta.co
Hello hivemind! I'm a software engineer trying to help a non-coder build aΒ  system using Webflow & Memberstack, and I'm hoping you can help us πŸ˜€

We've hit a roadblock where we need a bit of custom functionality that's not covered by the existing Webflow or Memberstack tools.

In a nutshell, we need a means of querying the Memberstack API from the Webflow app, but the only way I've found so far involves exposing the API credentials to any user of the Webflow app, which is far from ideal.Β 

Left to my own devices, as a coder I would naturally go and write a custom bit of code (AWS Lambda, perhaps), but we're trying to stay "pure no code" ;)

Can anyone recommend a technique they've used before for this type of scenario, or a different approach perhaps.Β 

Thanks in advance πŸ‘
I would recommend using Integromat or similar to create the bridge between Webflow and Memberstack so that the API credentials stay private within Integromat / the automation layer.

You'll also get the visual API querying tool there too although you may end up using the HTTP module if the automation tool doesn't have the specific native integration you you need.

As a software engineer, this will be really easy for you as it's just a matter of negotiating the API documentation for both platforms and linking the two together.

Damn Boi replied
  ·  1 reply
Thanks Glenn - that's a useful suggestion. I had already investigated Zapier (if only because I'm familiar with it), but hadn't yet looked at Integromat (because I need to go learn it).Β 

I'll give that a shot - thanks for helping so quickly πŸ‘
Glenn McWhinney replied
  ·  3 replies
ο»Ώ Phil Murphy ο»ΏΒ πŸ‘‹ you've already received some sage advice that will have you moving in an excellent (and IMO the correct) direction.

But...since your ask falls directly within my wheel house, I thought I too would jump in and see if there was any more color to be added to your issue πŸ™‚

MemberStack has 2 official API's - their front end and their backend.

The front end API:

Removes all worry about exposing API credentials as there aren't any for you to add πŸ™‚

Instead they rely upon a member being currently logged in which gives you access (via Javascript) to it while riding piggyback on their auth'ed cookie.

Here's a quick screencast of mine that walks through setting it up using nothing more than Webflow, MemberStack, and a bit of custom Javascript to glue it all together:
ο»Ώ ο»Ώ

The backend API:

This falls inline with what the awesome @ο»Ώ Glenn McWhinney ο»Ώ was describing. Use a glue service (highly recommend Integromat) as the layer between Webflow & MemberStack allowing you to tap into their backend API.

Here's another screencast of mine walking through how to setup Integromat with Webflow (minus MemberStack in this specific case) that should illustrate just how easy + intuitive Integromat really is:
ο»Ώ ο»Ώ

Extra Credit:

And just for giggles...if you want to go REALLY custom for your needs, I have a walk through that uses Integromat to tap into an AWS Lambda function 😱 as a fellow software engineer I'm sure you will appreciate it:

ο»Ώ ο»Ώ
🍻

Phil Murphy replied
  ·  2 replies