Inga

help needed: Region / Country / City Data

Hey all,

posted this in the bubble channel hoping for help - no luck so far but maybe someone here will have a look? (Linking to the other post so that it all stays in one place)

Thanks!
ο»Ώ ο»Ώ
Like Comment

Getting Region / Country / City Data into my DB

Hi all, here's the use case I am struggling with:Β 

• An organization (data type) has one or more offices (another data type). For the office address, I use 'geographic address'. So far so good.
  • An organization also runs one or more programs (another data type). A program doesn't have a precise geographical location, but it does need some way of identifying where it operates. From the user side (person entering this data), I'd ideally want them to be able to choose from a 'Region' dropdown, then a corresponding 'Country' dropdown / menu (enable multiple selection), and the same for 'City' within each country.

I approached this by creating Region, Country and City as separate data types (where Region has a List of Countries attribute, and Country has a List of Cities attribute, and City has one Country and Country has one Region).Β 

I am stuck on populating those tables. πŸ‘©β€πŸ’» πŸ˜“ Some things I've tried:

• I found this, but am not sure how to implement: https://www.back4app.com/database/back4app/list-of-all-continents-countries-cities
  • Also tried out the countries plugin, but don't think that solves it (it has only capital cities, and no regions/continents). https://bubble.io/plugin/countries-1485907924596x944498889467625500

Note: Β At this point in my project, I don't necessarily need a solution that is dynamic / has an API and pulls up-to-date data. For purposes of the prototype I am building, it would be perfectly fine to get a dump of reasonably accurate data in there and figure out optimizations later on.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this would be super helpful! Thanks in advance! πŸ™Œ

Hello! I'm Inga and I'd like to start building!

πŸ‘‹ Hi my name is Inga. My twitter handle is @IngaSB but I confess to only lurking so far - haven't begun actively tweeting. Here's my linkedin as well.

🌍 I am from Germany, and currently based here again. I've also lived in Canada (St. Catharines, ON), the US (Ithaca, NY) and Nicaragua (Managua). 

🎨 In terms of background, I started out in hospitality, transitioned into the nonprofit sector and later into tech. Currently trying to tie it all together.

πŸ“Literally day one of my no-code journey. I've done some programming and am also learning web dev (the actual coding part) on the side, but for the purpose of being able to validate a product idea somewhat quickly, I've decided to "give in" to no-code for now.

🧱 I'm working on building a directory marketplace that connects nonprofit organizations & B corps with the communities they have set out to serve. It's all in my head so far but happy to share here as I put it out into the world.

🧰 No preferred no-code tools so far, looking forward to finding out what they will turn out to be!

πŸ€” Other interests include the outdoors (&camping), systems around productivity, ayurveda, books and thai food.

πŸ‘¨β€πŸ« My next step is figuring out which tool to begin working with first, or rather, figuring out what my no-code tool stack is going to be for the product I have in mind. Guessing tutorials will be a good place to start, will post here if I get stuck.

πŸ€— Would appreciate feedback from the community as I begin building and sharing. Trying to do a bit more of the whole "building in public" thing even though it definitely doesn't come naturally to me.Β 
Like Comment